Thursday, September 07, 2006

It Sucks To Get Old

You know it sucks to get old. The health issues we never had in our youth, the decline in certain activities in life you enjoyed or just the tired feeling that comes along for the ride. The hard part is seeing certain things in yourself you never saw before. The way you react to certain situations the same as your father did, relating to the Hip Hop music scene, not understanding the direction Hollywood is taking with films, not knowing who is the latest star or what is on NBC, ABC, CBS or any channel. I just don't get it anymore.

Musically I grew up when the musicians played their own instruments and recording was done in a few short weeks in between tours. Now it's all electronically generated sounds, drum machines and the vocalist for the most part don't even sing, they just talk real fast. "All of it sounds the same", ever heard that before?

Movies? Give me a good Clint Eastwood spaghetti western or a Alfred Hitchcock suspense film and I'll dare Hollywood to do anything that matches. Sure the have better effects now, more detail, more then should be on film actually. How many ways can you cut someones head off anyhow? There was a time it required more writing and acting to create the image in your head, now it's just...."show this scene now" and you figure it out. Pretty boring to me.

Television is one I have no clue on. The sitcoms were replaced by suspense shows, reality tv or god forbid, those star search things like American Idol. But we still have TV Land and other cable or satellite options to keep the balance. I will say the variety we have is much better then the old days when we had three channels [most had black and white TV then] and remote control was my father hitting me in the head and saying, "Change the channel boy". Any satellite adjustment then was made with aluminum foil on the rabbit ears.

So I grow older [sort of hope that continues] and I think back to times when it was special. Or it seemed that way. Just think, our children think this time is special now. So I try to keep my mouth shut and not ruin it for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home