Thursday, September 07, 2006

And You're Little Dog Too!



Time to show your age now, can you remember back when the Wizard Of Oz was shown once a year on TV? What a classic time that was, everyone did nothing that night, all were tuned in to see this movie once again. Wonder how high the ratings actually were, sort of hard to recall things like that when you are referring to years in your life that could be numbered in single digits. My main memories of this were between 4 to 7 years old I guess, 1961 and up. Strange, I was in my teens before I ever knew the movie turned to color. I do recall the rumor that Ted Turner wanted to colorize the first 15 minutes however.

Anyhow the scenes of this film were part of our childhood whether we liked it or not. Just one of those "givens" in a way. The argument between Auntie M and the old crabby woman on the bicycle. The tornado scene, a classic piece for that time, then to learn the actual tornado was a pair of pantie hose. Sort of takes away part of the suspense learning that. I do remember quite well how hot the good "Witch of the North" [or whatever part she represented] was. What a childhood fantasy she created!

One thing I do recall standing out, was this film had the most horrifying clip of any in my childhood memory banks. The flying monkey scene. I remember hiding my head and being terrified of these creatures as the witch sent them out. As they took that left turn as they flew out the window into the sky, I trembled and shook in fear. I had nightmares about them and was in my teens before I could really watch this scene and not be scared.

The times provide you the option of just going to a local video rental store and rent it, take it home and watch about 50 times if you want. You can buy it for that matter, probably a personalized expanded editors edition or something on DVD. But it won't be the same, never will be. That time has passed us by too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home