Sunday, September 10, 2006

Bird Cage Liners

When my wife came in from work today she brought home the local Sunday newspaper. As I looked through it I thought of how much less importance they are now, newspapers in general of course. How much longer can this form of media stay vital or even necessary to the public? I remember when I was a young lad, maybe 11 to 12 years old I would wait eagerly for the paper to arrive each day, especially in the summer. I would run to the front yard, grab it so I would be the first to read it. All just to look at the baseball box-scores.

The average home which still subscribes to one or two newspapers daily generates much more waste in this area. Recycling has yet to catch on for most of the rural areas, so that translates into waste. I can't remember the last time I clipped an article from a paper to save and the excitement is long past to read the sports page. We have 24 hour cable channels to keep up on anything we need to know at a click of a remote as well, just too much competition in the long run.

I do keep up with local news by way of the Internet. All local newspapers have their own websites, not all the daily content is available but the most important things are. I would be happy to pay a small fee each month for access to more this way rather then pay to subscribe to have one be delivered to my home. Most of the sites have limited data bases but that could easily change, add better search engines and the ability to trace back old editions for vital research articles. Anything of interest for that matter and you now have a vital tool to use from your home as you wish. I could see myself paying the $12 a month it cost for subscription.

The cost of printing and delivery alone is staggering compared to the cost of maintaining a proper website. In the future I see this being the outcome as few homes now aren't online, as the next generation takes hold of the system a lot of changes along these lines are inevitable. Sometimes progress is a good thing. Notice I write "sometimes", I don't agree with all progress.

So save a tree, surf the net!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home