Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Old Man On The Porch [part I]

Certain things seem to get under my skin, they always have. Today's youth and the car stereo thump, thump drives me crazy. You never hear music, just the thump. Is it necessary to have someone two blocks away know you are coming? Do these young people have any idea the damage they are doing to their hearing? The Ipod age will face a much more severe problem then our generation did in terms of hearing loss.

So did we play our music loud in the during the 70s? Yes we did. As loud as we could during those times. So many memories do I recall of riding in friends cars listening to 8-track tapes blaring through busted speakers. Most speaker systems then could handle around 2 watts, now even the stock Detroit autos have outstanding sounding stereos that can handle up to 100 watts with ease. My how that has changed from the times when our first autos had only a AM radio with one mono speaker and we could pick up three stations that were worth listening to. Well I guess not that much has changed, I still have trouble finding three stations worth listening to. We do have the CD players to fall back on if it weren't for the fact I'm too lazy to grab one each day to take with me.

But this isn't about the type music they listen too, that is another topic all together, but the way they evade others privacy doing it. Yes I love my music and I like it pretty loud at times, but I don't recall going into convenience stores and leaving it playing to drive others out of their mind. I would always turn it down when I pulled into the parking lot and turn it off when I got out of the vehicle. Shouldn't there be laws enforced a bit better on this stuff? I know it was like that when we were growing up or maybe we just knew better.

And another thing, who thought up that stupid slang saying "24-7". I'd like to a chance to slap who is responsible. What a waste of breath it is for someone to say that. That is nearly as bad as "you go girl".

1 Comments:

At 4:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to know it's not just me!! Remember "if it's too loud, you're too old"? Well, I still LOVE loud - it's that FREAKIN' THUMP I can't stand!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home